nan · cy · ful. [nan-see-fuhl]
- adjective
1. indulging in or influenced by Nancy; "a nancyful mind"
2. characterized or suggested by Nancy
3. having a curiously intricate and delicate quality
4. based on fact, reason, and experience; in other words, keepin' it real.

Saturday, August 7, 2004

Window to My Seul

"Oh my God, how are you?  You look so good!"

"Look at you, girl!  You look hot!"

"Is this your place?  Oh my goodness, it's gorgeous!  How much do you pay a month?"

"Happy birthday, girl!  How old are you again?"

"Did you lose weight?  You look like you've lost weight."

"Oh my goodness, I have to introduce you to this guy.  I totally thought of you when I met him.  You'll love him."

"What have you been up to lately?"

"Of course I made it!  Are you kidding?  I wouldn't miss this for anything!"

"Thanks for setting this up.  It's so great to see everybody again!"

The drinks made their rounds; the food came soon after.  Glasses clink'ed and clanked.

Conversation buzzing, humming, peaking.  Music, steady and faithful in the background.  The laughter came easily.

Suddenly she stood up, champagne in hand.  Smiles, nods.  The buzzing continued.  The music didn't miss its cue.

But, by the window, overlooking the city lights and the silent, lazy vehicles, someone began to cry. 

She lifted the glass to her lips.

"Breathe.  Just breathe."

No comments: